Thread: engine drop
View Single Post

well today was the big day, although I have to admit I was really along for the ride watching both Jacob & Vinny. For starters, I have to say an engine hoist made life much easier. We were able to lower the engine with the hoist from the top of engine compartment on to Jacob's RV jack, pull it out from under the car & then rehoist the motor on to engine stand. All transitions were VERY smooth. Currently all motor parts are taking up a full bay in my garage. Unfortunately, as suspected, 3 of the cylinders had broken rings. and the best was cylinder #6 having fused rings to a warped piston. (pictures to follow) Looking over the parts, it has been decided that the heads will be going to a machine shop. #6 cylinder & jug needs to be replaced or all new cylinders & jugs.... yikes! ..... and a new clutch, also as suspected. A lot of this could have been avoided with a properly tuned motor. However, that was out of my control. And during my purchase, a compression test did not reveal this issue, if it existed.

Anyway, the joys of owning a Porsche 930. .... with an adventure & $$$ to follow. I have to say, though, it was exciting watching my motor come apart into a million pieces. :-)
Old 01-16-2011, 07:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)