Thread: engine drop
View Single Post

Actually when I bought the car from a jerry woods client they used swepco 20w-50 which is high in ZDDP additives . I believe the cams were brand new 964 cams not hard welded regrinds still have to ck to see if the cam spray bars are clear. This motor has less than 7000 miles on a jerry woods rebuild (not that it matters)

I have to say this has been an adventure for me & I'm very grateful to jacob and vinne for helping me dive into this motor in a very competent & technical manner. If I have any advice from my experience it would be to insist upon a leak-down test, not a compression check. oh, well. I kind of new that before I bought the car, but felt that Jerry Woods Enterprise doing the PPI would have my backside covered.

Now being that there is no precise measurement as to when this damage occurred, it may have been on my watch. I ran the car without having the motec M48 checked.I assumed it was tuned safely.(wronnnng) Last spring I finally decided to put an O2 sensor & hook it up to the motec, running a closed loop. As we ran the car in real time my tunner and I discovered that on boost the motor was running lean (obviously a dangerous situation). The car came from Jerry Woods tuned via throttle position sensor so that at a particular rpm a particular amt. of fuel was metered to the motor not the best tunning method causing a lean running motor. The lean situation was changed imediatley and the car was put on a dyno and tuned using the full capability of the motec m 48.This fall at turbo palooza my plugs were fouling and in general i was not satisfied with engines performance so i performed a leak down test and shall we say THE REST IS HISTORY. This is my best explanation BLEACHII but as to when and how the damage occured(treating the car like a red headed step child, or a lean motor, or detination or????) circumstance before or after my purchase I am not sure ,other than the mahle piston and cylinders indicate it was a hot running motor with some detination occuring. O well its a warm welcome to the 930.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)