Thread: engine drop
View Single Post

"Actually when I bought the car from a jerry woods client they used swepco 20w-50 which is high in ZDDP additives . I believe the cams were brand new 964 cams not hard welded regrinds"

If they are 964 cams new or used they would have had a power steering pump drive on the passenger side cam and it would have been cut off, leaving a machine mark on the end so it would fit in your 930 cam tower because there is a freeze plug pressed into the hole in the end of the cam tower and your engine oil cooler is right behind it.

Along with that 964 cams do not have the 930 scavange pump drive on the end of the driver side cam so one would have to be fabricated and welded on to the end.

If it is a hardweld built up 930 cam reground to 964 profile there should be a number on the end of the cam. If it was reground by webcam to 964 profile it will be grind #40.

I will also say you don't really know what oil was used in there unless you saw what was poured in during each oil change after the rebuild. If it's green it's probably Brad Penn, Royal Purple is purple, and Valvoline VR1 synthetic is blue.
As far as I know other oils are the usual amber color.

Sorry you're going through all this.. your car is beautiful and the motor looks real clean, on the outside.
Good luck with whatever you do to rebuild it.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)