View Single Post
(the shotguns)

Aircraft stripper to get down to metal?

I would like to build a car from a bare tub and am in the process of securing the tub.

Current plan is to completely strip the tub then have exterior, front trunk and engine compartment shot in one color. Am doing this on a very tight budget and will be doing everything possible myself. I've read many times that aircraft stripper is the best way to strip a car but does that include the front trunk and interior?

I'm worried that the nooks and crannies in the front trunk will prove very difficult to properly strip and clean. However my current car was sandblasted by PO and after several years of ownership and driving i have YET to get all the sand out of it. Sooooo i'm thinking media blasting isn't my best option.

I'm also curious what DIY guys are doing to keep rust away once car is stripped. Are you shooting primer with a harbor freight HVLP gun and if so is it feasible to get interior, trunks AND body parts completely covered?

I've read that if you do the prep and post work yourself a very nice paint job can be obtained from places like Maaco. I'd really like to give this a shot as my car will be a bastard T used for ax'ing and fun runs.

Thoughts and input on this plan?

Thanks!
Well i had #6 adjusted perfectly but then just before i tightened it a butterfly in Zimbabwe farted and now i have to start all over again!
I believe we all make mistakes but I will not validate your poor choices and/or perversions and subsidize the results your actions.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)