View Single Post

AXL:

I have not got my engine back in the car yet so I can't give you the first hand impression you're looking for but I did extensive research before I purchased the WMI for the "Old Sled" It has been quoted that WMI will drop head temps as much as 300*.

I just posted this in a previous thread and thought it might help others understand what WMI does and how it does it. The reason I went WMI is that in all my research I never saw anything except great rewards when used in a forced induction application. Quite frankly, after learning the Army Air Corp hand done extensive testing of WMI during WWII, I was amazed that I had not seen it used on 930's.

Take a look, hope this helps !!!

A short quote from an engineering article I read while doing research on WMI:

"In a piston engine, the initial injection of water cools the fuel-air mixture significantly, which increases its density and hence the amount of mixture that enters the cylinder. An additional effect comes later during combustion when the water absorbs large amounts of heat as it vaporizes, reducing peak temperature and resultant NOx formation, and reducing the amount of heat energy absorbed into the cylinder walls. This also converts part of combustion energy from the form of heat to the form of pressure. As the water droplets vaporize by absorbing heat, it turns to high pressure steam (water vapor or steam mainly resulted from combustion chemical reaction), that would add engine output. The alcohol in the mixture burns, but is also much more resistant to detonation than gasoline. The net result is a higher octane charge that will support very high compression ratios or significant forced induction pressures before onset of detonation."

Also in WWII the Army Air Corp experimented with WMI on supercharged aircraft engines. During the testing it was noted that they could ran as much as 25 times the compression ratio before they saw detonation. WMI was eventually used on many military aircraft such as the P51 Mustang, the B52, and numerous turbine aircraft. In the case of the P51 the WMI was noted as a significant factor contributing to the P51's reversal of air superiority in the European campaign.

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.

Last edited by cole930; 02-21-2011 at 12:35 PM..
Old 02-21-2011, 12:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #239 (permalink)