View Single Post

Gentlemen,

I'm going to try and give you some information that may help with your questions. All this information has been gleaned from the many searches I did before I started all this. These statements are based on a 50/50 mixture of methanol and water.

WMI will not raise the octane rating except for the methanol component which has a higher octane rating the gasoline. The statements made that WMI will raise the octane rating should say, has the same effect as, raising the octane rating. This effect is actually a combination of the higher octane methanol, the water vapor content turning to steam in the cylinder, and the cooling effect the mixture has on the heads and combustion chamber. This gives you the ability to run pump gas and have the same safety margins against detonation as race fuel. WMI will produce a cooler and more dense cylinder charge, drop head temps as much as 300*, and lower AFR's as much as one full point.

When WMI is used in a Turbo application the suggested placement of the nozzle is after the intercooler and before the throttle body. The logic here is that the WM is injected into the air stream at the coolest point and highest speed which optimizes atomization to give the most balanced distribution within the intake. It was also mentioned that this position is optimal on a Porsche pancake intake because of the unorthodox intake design where maximum atomization is important to keep vapor from forming on the walls of the intake.

I have seen very little on multi-port WMI, It certainly would be relativly easy to do, bungs and nozzles are inexpensive and as long as the pump pressure was adequate it can be done. My only questions would be the effects of a more direct in cylinder injection vs. the seemingly more optimal atomization throught the intake.

It is perfectly fine to use the windshield washer bottle for your WMI reservoir. Typically the amount of solution used is actually less than one might imagine. In most instances you will be setting a start point for the WMI and that is not usually before .4 bar. consequently the WMI duty cycle is relatively low. Estimates i've read stated a 2 gallon tank on a street driven car will require refilling between every 2 or 3 tanks of gas. Someone also noted he used WMI on his track car and usually used 1-2 tanks of solution depending on session length.

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.

Last edited by cole930; 03-09-2011 at 04:21 AM..
Old 03-08-2011, 11:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #249 (permalink)