View Single Post
Non User

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkreigsr View Post
or, you can send the calipers out to be machined so that they fit on the leading side of the rotor (3"spacing)
or, you could have someone thread the ears already on the bananas to accept the calipers with 3 1/2" spacing
take your pick
Bill K

I wish I didn't lose my pictures, but I had to take off about an 8th of an inch off the inside of the dog ear to get the caliper to center over the rotor. I did all the work myself with a drill press, a router bit, and a drill bit. If just drilling and tapping, if you're careful you cold do it on a lift without much hassle. Do one, mount the caliper, then use the hole on the other side as a guide so that you get the proper spacing. Start with a drill bit that barely fits the hole in the caliper to just start the hole, so you get the center correct. Then switch to the correct bit for the tap and take it all the way through. If doing it from the back side, You need a long bit so that you can get it straight without the chuck interfereing with the banana arm (ask me how I know).

I took the banana arm off, mounted on a steel wheel for a base, then mounted (and leveled to the rotor) that on the press. Used the router bit to take off the excess material from the dog ear. From there i aligned the caliper and marked the center of the holes....
'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'74 914 track basket-case
Old 03-08-2011, 08:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #111 (permalink)