View Single Post
beancounter

'79 930 - Brake refresh in progress

I decided its time to address the brakes on my car. Normal everyday braking is fine, but with hard use (spirited street driving or on track), I'm getting a lot of pulsation felt through the pedal and steering wheel.

My '79 has the original 917 style floating rotors upfront.

The old front rotors mic'd at 30.6mm (new spec is 32mm and wear limit is 30mm).

Question: Do you think its possible to have these cut on a lathe and get some more life out of them or is there not enough material left?

Another fun fact about the rotors is that they weren't floating anymore (due to brake dust, or perhaps corrosion build up). I had to knock out the ring with a mallet. Perhaps cleaning up the mating surfaces of the old rotor would allow the assembly to float properly again?

If the old ones can't be reused, no biggie...I purchased these replacement rotors from VCI:

Bought a set of Pagid Street/Sport pads to replace the "metal-masters" that are in there now from PO.

Another question: does anyone reuse the lock tabs for the rotor bolts?

And another question: I noticed on at least one caliper that the pad thickness was different on either side. I suspect this is a sign of a sticky caliper piston. Visual inspection shows the pistons look fairly clean, no sign of corrosion. I've not noticed any unusual braking behavior in the few years I've owned the car. Is a caliper rebuild required, or could I "exercise" them a bit and see how things go?

Rear rotors mic'd at 27mm (new is 28mm and wear limit is 26mm). Considering running these of should I just go for freshness all around?

Finally, some picture of my solution for pulling off those pesky dust covers on the front hubs using my handy craftsman puller and a 2" muffler clamp:

Old 03-13-2011, 06:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)