View Single Post

I don't think you have anything to worry about there.

A bottle of Chevron Techron in the gas tank will probably loosen carbon off the backside of the intake valves better than water or water methanol injection and what actually comes off will blow through and out the exhaust.
Techron works better at not building up carbon on the backside of the intake valves in the first place when there is none there to start with. Thats a good reason to use Chevron gas that already has some in it.
I've heard Mobil gas has it too but not sure about that.
I've never seen techron actually remove hard cooked on already exsisting intake valve carbon with nothing more than air/fuel flow velocity to supposedly blow off the carbon.
If you've ever scraped at it you'll see how hard it is to remove.

Water injection will turn to steam in the combustion chambers and do some steam cleaning in there but won't completely clean them out - BTDT many years ago on a 3.5 liter 6 cylinder BMW with water injection and pulled the head afterward when a rocker arm broke (BMW rocker chafts are long and the head has to come off to drive them out). Again no worries.. any tiny loosened carbon particles will just blow out the exhaust and won't do anything to the exhaust turbine. Not sure what effect it may have on a catalytic converter, but probably nothing.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)