View Single Post

Garage
I just pulled the motor on this car for various updates and thought I’d resurrect the thread. When I put this on the street I was out of work and installing off the shelf items to get her running on a shoestring. I learned what I wanted to know that this is a very nice small bore TURBO configuration befitting of the last year of the longhood 911 models in 1973. That was 38 years ago..........

So here is the motor out again. 5th time I think, but who is counting. Somewhere along the way I purchased a stainless replacement for the plastic airbox. In the days this was a solution to backfires and blown airboxes, now I’m using it as a turbocharged blown airbox. Bought a MSD box with adjustable retard and the Split Second add on injector driver that is laptop programmable to replace previous systems. Snow water injection worked great before and it stays, possibly with addition of a smaller injector upstream of the compressor to supplement the downstream base injector. I expect to increase the boost marginally.

Oh, and I found the existing tranny to be bulky during fast upshifts when hot so I decided to install a newly rebuilt 915 box from my delayed 3.6LTT project. Paul Ross, a friend and longtime Indy Porsche professional rebuilt this one so I know I’m going to be pleased with its performance.

The bodywork will also get some add-on "performance" styling to what I think Porsche may have done had they produced a 2.4L TURBO alongside their renowned 1973 2.7L RS. I’m not a purest but I’m practical. Someday this car will be restored to stock with original Aubergine color.

Last edited by copbait73; 04-17-2011 at 06:44 PM..
Old 04-17-2011, 06:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)