View Single Post
Driver

Garage
OK, I've got another stupid no start cause.

Short story: cracked 10-fuse block in the front trunk.

Long story:
I went to start the 930 this weekend. The CD box whined and it cranked when I turned the key, but it wouldn't start. Hmmm. I had a similar thing happen over the Christmas holidays. I thought it was just because I didn't drive the car for over a month (between work, travel, and rain). So I went through every relay and fuse in both the front trunk and engine compartment. They all individually worked when I swapped them back and forth to test them. I sanded every contact point with sandpaper. And whatever I did worked. Maybe it was some corrosion at connections, I thought?

So fast forward to this past weekend. Again, no start despite cranking. So I popped the front trunk and noticed a couple of the bullet fuses were laying askew. Huh? As I tried to pop them back in, they just fell back out. There was no tension/springiness between the metal contacts to hold the fuses in place. How does that happen? Turns out the plastic 10-fuse block was cracked longitudinally/horizontally so the metal contacts couldn't generate enough tension to hold the fuses seated securely. Hence, no ignition.

Running late at that point, I just zip-tied the fuse block together. But I have a replacement I'll rewire in next weekend. Oh, and now the cigarette lighter no longer works only intermittently.

edit: Photo of the offending part. It's not supposed to be askew along the bottom edge (part is supposed to be installed with the numbers upside down). It's supposed to be one whole piece of plastic. That's why not enough tension was generated to hold the fuses securely in place and I'd get intermittent electrical issues. And why, at the lightest touch, the fuses would fall out of place like the teeth of a meth head. And then into that deep crack between the engine compartment sidewall and fuel tank.

Last edited by Noah930; 05-30-2011 at 07:19 PM..
Old 04-19-2011, 10:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)