View Single Post

Lets Build Me a Motor, 914-6

I am looking for some suggestions on what to build for my 914-6 conversion. The car will be mostly a fun car, used for spirited mountain and canyon driving. It will see limited track time. I have a dedicated autocross car so this will not be used for any autocrossing. However, I would like to drive it in a hill climb or two.

The car weighs about 2180 lbs; I have gone through almost everything on the car, including rebuilding the stock side shift transmission 15k miles ago, but I left the gears stock. I have previously built three different four-cylinder engines each being more powerful than the last. I have reached the point where I want to put a six in it. I have bought a magnesium case ’74 2.7, and a pair of 40mm Weber’s. I have an RX-7 oil cooler ducted in the front of the car. I want an engine that makes its maximum power around 7000 to 7200 rpm. I want something that is really fun to ring out all the way to redline. I am not interested in a stump puller. I understand that this type of motor is not the best performing but for me it is more fun, and this is a fun car. And I want it to sound amazing. I would like to keep the 901/914 transmission.

What I am planning right now is:

10.5:1 JE pistons
36mm intake ports
35mm exhaust ports
Twin plug using JB distributor
SC oil pump
Supertech head studs
MSDS headers

Some specific questions are:

Camshafts, I have been debating S, mod S, DC-40, DC-60, and everything in between. I have been leaning towards the mod S cams. My specific questions about choosing a camshaft is, which grind is going to give me what I want, which could I add MFI on in the future, and which is going to sound the best?

Machining, will the stock S ports flow enough for these cams and give me the power band that I want?

Should I have the magnesium case shuffle pinned?

All other comments and suggestions welcome.

Obligatory car pictures

Old 05-04-2011, 02:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)