View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBL930 View Post
To keep things in perspective though in terms of longevity, it will probably have reliable HP up to maybe as much as 600bhp, and anything above that will be high boost that will quickly wear out the engine.
Air cooled turbo race engines that run at full power have a life of maybe 20hrs, if this was driven in anger at full power it would need regular tear downs, new heads etc, just the same.

Nothing wrong with that, and in reality how much time do you spend at WOT over in the states, plus it would probably run for 100,000 miles at 550bhp, but always good to have perspective. The bigger the boost/power the quicker these air cooled engines need rebuilding.

Let's say you used it for texas mile events, it may only be used in anger for half an hour of the whole day, that means it would be good for years of fun, if the rest of the time it was run at lower power on the road then it might be 5 or 10 years before it fails......
If it was used regularly on the Autobahns here in Europe you would not want to be running it at the full 900bhp. In fact, without a very very special intercooler it wouldn't be able to hold that kind of power for sustained runs anyway.

I'd love to own the car, it's stunning, and no doubt built to the extreme. It's a similar build to Jean's on Rennlist, and he got a LOT of racing time out of his, although not sure what boost/power he ran for racing.

If i had the spare money, and it was here in Europe i would be very tempted at that money...... But i would keep it down to 550 to 650bhp for longevity
Well written to put things in real perspective.
Very nice car, wish I had the cash.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)