View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroggers View Post
Good result - post a picture will you. Interested to see how the silver and black looks together...
Sorry,

shortly after posting I found the following article Speed Yellow Gauge Faceplate - Articles which gave me enough confidence to change the faces to all black, so no more chance to take pics

Well the story actually continues here, I guess the article gave me a little too MUCH confidence:
Another lesson learned: Be EXTREMLY careful when removing the needles. If you pull too hard or don't apply equal pressure on both sides you will dislocate the very fragile and delicate cogs inside the "transmission" of the gauge (what drives the needle). The result will be that the needle is totally loose and the instrument will be useless.

Well you guess it: It happened to me. I had removed all needles very carefully using a "fork" tool from an interior removal kit. I even took a picture where the needles pointed before I took them off and carefully put them back on exactly the way they were after I changed the faces.
Nevertheless, for some reason the tachometer was now 2,000 RPM behind.
So I pulled this needle off again and put it back in, in the correct way and that's when it happened, CRACK

Short story: I now know more about 996/986 dashboard gauges that I ever wanted to. After completely dis- and resembling the tacho and the gears I got it working again, but believe me: I hope I will never have to do this again...
AutoX: 21 / Track days: 40
Old 05-13-2011, 10:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)