View Single Post
Large Member

Garage
header install Q's - secret handshakes?

Car's up in air, bumper's off, bits been soaking in PB blast in hot cycles for 2-3 weeks now. I should be ready.

Looking up, what's the best way to get the 13mm nuts off the flanges into the motor? I can get a boxed end on but then no way to swing it. Socket hits side of exchanger, even with a universal adapter. Ugh.

Surely the braintrust here can share some BTDT. I've seen a bent wrench someone made (GSF sells them on their site IIRC), but I've no way to make my own.

I've got a MAPP torch, but no OA btw.

For the turbo flange nuts - what's best way to access? I was hoping to remove the turbo / muffler as one and not having to fuss w/ more hardware, but looking in there I can't see how to get to those bits w/ the muffler there.

How about the heater downpipe on the driver side? I'm pulling the crap out of it and can't get it to pull down thru the tin (girliemon!). JPipe is very much in the way, but was hoping this would come out first to allow best access to #1 flange.

Re-read GSXRKen's RL8 header install thread from '09, I remembered it soon as I re-read it. Ugh. Hoping I'm not facing the same (snapped studs galore).

Hoping for best here, your insight is appreciated. Thanks guys, as always. Going to bed...

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 05-20-2011, 08:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)