Thread: MSD Success
View Single Post

Garage
Slow Car: I'm not sure how to get a specific advance with the engine not running. With piston 1 at TDC on the compression stroke, the rotor should be pointing at spark plug 1. This is where to start when you put the dizzy back in. From there you adjust with a timing light.

If you look at how the centrifugal advance and vacuum/boost retard move the parts inside, you can see which direction to rotate everything so that stand alone, the dizzy is fully advanced (rotor hitting the contact sooner and the spider meeting the pins on the magento sooner). It doesn't have to be locked in this position, but I feel it's safer in case something comes loose; it would retard and not advance more risking detonation. I also don't think you could get to 30* if you locked it in full retard.

BTW, haven't had a chance to bump up to 30* yet, but I'm loving where I'm at. Don't have a snap of my current curve on this laptop, but I increased advance between 1400 and 2000 and it gets away from the line better than the curve above.
17 NSX - Nouvelle Blue
Old 06-01-2011, 09:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)