View Single Post
beancounter

Quote:
Originally Posted by james marriott View Post
Jacob, Like the idea of the long, shotgun garage. Good use of space in an urban environment. Your architect will no doubt be able to confirm any local fire separation requirements between the vehicle storage areas and the habited space above. Not really an issue since you are doing new electrical distribution overhead anyway. Don't forget the washroom ceiling as well since it's part of the main new garage space. Think about two tube T-8 fixtures rather than "shop lights". Good color rendition, fairly long life and economic to run. Just installed four in my garage last winter. You might want to revisit the large swinging doors between the two garage sections. Looks like a potential hassel to move cars around just to swing them open and shut. Drawing of your proposed floor plan pretty well describes the interferences. Another approach would be to use a glazed overhead door, similar to the fire station doors. This would also provide light and security between the two areas. Option would really be to delete the door between the two ends of your garage altogether...Again, nice to see a full garage in an urban space.
Thanks for the comments James. The existing garage space is beneath habited space above already, so I'm hoping the ceiling in the studio is the same in which case I should be covered from a code perspective. I considered an overhead door, but that creates its own issues with height (already going to be tight with the planned mid-rise lift). In addition my architect pointed out that I will want a small man door to move between spaces without the hassle of a car-sized door. I do want to keep the spaces separate because the studio is heated and air conditioned while the existing garage is not. I will look to have the doors swing in a direction that will not interfere with parked cars.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)