Thread: ignition help
View Single Post

ignition help

I am in need of some help on an issue. Up front I've done many searches but I'm just looking for any other info I could get.
My car is a new to me '82 930. It ran fine when I dropped it off at the port to have it shipped to Germany. They called when it arived and said the battery was dead, no biggie I kind of expected that. When i go to pick up the car it wont start.
it would catch a little. It did get running for a few moments, running very ruff and back firing, it did a big back fire and then it died. it never seemed like it wanted "hit". I took the battery home to recharge and then ended up buying a new battery. After a trouble shooting session it is clear it is not getting any spark. I can smell fuel if the car is cranked on for long, so the fuel pumps seem to be working fine.
I checked to see if power is getting to the coil and it does not seem to be getting a signal, there is continuity between the ends of the wires to the coil and the "green" coax cable (I unplugged the CDI box and tested from the connector there to the other end of the wire).
The CDI box is whinning. I've removed the box and I'm looking on how to verify it is in good working order
Is there a way to test the distributor to see if a signal is going from the dizzy to the CDI box? anyone know what that value should be?
What does the brain trust reccomend for further checks. I have to drive about 40 miles from where I live to where the car is and they are only open on week days, so my ability to run out and check things is rather limited.
Thanks for the help.
1982 930, K-27, BL adj. WUR, Rarlyl8 Headers and Hooligan muffler, MSD 6, 22 and 30mm torsion bars, poly bronze bushings 30mm raised spindles and custom valved Bilstein shocks (by Elephant Racing), monoballs front and rear (by Rennline), Alton 17" Fuchs, Fred Cook fuse panel
Old 06-07-2011, 08:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)