View Single Post

Wayne, I don’t know about the ride height...are there specs for ride height for the Euro cars...Seems to me I have seen s 90cm dimension somewhere for the fronts...

Geoff...yes you see what I see, fully painted wheel lips and Targa vinyl. Those were too easy...but there will be a prize if the important questions can be resolved. This 914 GT car series was supposed to be produced as the European counterpart to the USA Limited Editions.

Dave, I knew they were Mahles...8^)

Jeroen, we read the same books!

I am building a website with every morsel of information I can find about these cars and I have discovered some discrepancies and contradictions in the info available. I posted this thread to see if anyone could help with certain nagging questions:

1. Was there a poster of the USA Limited Edition like this one of the 914 GT? And if so did it also list the 100000 car production milestone?

2. IF this is a true 914 GT (and I don't think it is), why does it have Targa vinyl and fully painted wheels, different from the USA LE cars?

3. There is an authoritative book ‘Das Grosse VW-Porsche 914’ which says that the 914 GT cars had no Targa vinyl, and Fuchs with wheel centers only painted. I was hoping our European friends or a 914 collector may have photos of other 914 GTs they would post...you know not a posed factory shot, but a privately owned or car show type photo.

4. Paraphrased, Das Grosse also says , ‘in the end, the 914 Can Am cars were only delivered to the USA as Limited Editions’.

All this leads me to think that not only are the photos of a late prototype, where the final form of a 914 GT had no Targa vinyl and Fuchs with wheel centers-only painted, but that the 914 GT was never actually produced.

Anyone here know any different?

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-23-2002, 08:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)