Thread: PPI results
View Single Post

Garage
PPI results

Getting close to making a purchase and just got the PPI report back and have a few questions.

Itís a 1982, so ROW car with euro fuel head. It also has ported heads, 964 cams, and a 7006 turbo. What kind of gas mileage should I expect?

1) From researching this site, it looks like the combination of 964+7006 is better suited higher RPM and would be better for track and highway driving and not city driving. Iím guessing the euro fuel head and larger ports would also add to the top end.

Engine and drive train are solid. Compression was split between 120 and 125 and the leakdown were 5% on four cylinders with one 6% and one 7%.

I want to make sure all the ďlittle thingsĒ are not going to be major items. I put down an estimate of the cost based on quick searches.

2) AC compressor was removed. Car has a full bay intercooler. Not sure about putting in AC, Iím guessing itís a $2k project.

3) No heat since it has aftermarket headers, not sure on brand. PPI mechanic said not Fabspeed, not Billy Boat and not equal length (so not Brianís). Owner said heíd send some pictures. The owner said his mechanic could fabricate some heater boxes. Any thoughts on this route? Otherwise its $2500k to Brian.

4) Master Cylinder is bad - almost out of brake fluid with no sign of a leak. Has steel braided lines. Mechanic said $700. Figure Iíd want that done before driving it home.

5) High beams stuck on, needs new switch. $250

6) No windshield washer reservoir due to change in front valance.
- A parts search revealed this could be up to $400, but I didnít really know what would be needed Ė pump, hoses?

7) Boost gauge does not work.
Ė Plan to replace with boost/vacuum gauge. $250

8) Odometer not working. This sounds like a typical problem. I penciled in $500.

9) Motors on side mirrors donít work. Mechanic didnít think fixing would be a big deal, but I donít think it would be a big deal anyway since I doubt Iíll change them.

10) Minor paint problem on the right rear fender Ė car was repainted. Guessing $600.

11) Mechanic said there was some puffing, but with the leakdown numbers, it wasnít something to be concerned about. Should I follow up?

Thank you for any feedback.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)