View Single Post

The Old Guy's Latest Hairbrained Project

Well, I decided this might be helpful to someone who is as much of a glutton for punishment as I am.

This all started with my 35 year love affair with the first old school intercooled 934's. In 1976 these old girls would run 190 MPH and do 0-60 in 3.9 and that was with factory interior and power windows. The 934 was the car that started the legend of the Porsche 930. I always loved the 934 headers and center mount turbo with a relocated CIS and the first intercooled engines. So, long ago when I first bought the "Old Sled", I knew I was going to have to do that. ( I never said I was smart !!!)

The sled is painted and back together and the engine and trans are in so I've started installing the headers and relocating the turbo. The first thing you find is that the stock engine mounting bar sits directly in front of where the turbo up pipe needs to go. Trying to find any 934 engine pictures is very difficult and then when you find them they don't show you a lot of detail on fabricating a new engine yoke. I received some much needed help from Motly911 as he was fabricating a similar engine bar for his twin turbo project and also found some old pics. of 934 engines sitting on the floor at Smart Racing. Between the two I got a good general idea of what I needed to do.

I've bolted the headers in place and started to fabricate the new "934" Engine yoke.

Trying to take accurate measurements is impossible and there are 9 points that had to be located accuratly to make this thing fit and function so I went old school with a cardboard cutout referencing off my 4 bolt holes on the caes.

Even a blind hog will find an acorn now and then, it fits !!!!

Now on to the percision machining !!! A 4" cutting wheel on a Bosch grinder and some 8 gauge flat stock.

So this morning it went off to the local farm implement shop for welding. This project proves that poverty is the real mother of invention. To Be Continued !!!

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.

Last edited by cole930; 06-17-2011 at 04:43 AM..
Old 06-16-2011, 07:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)