View Single Post

Driving impressions Porsche 930 and Ferrari F355

I recently drove a F355 through a mountain canyon and today took my '85 Porsche 3.6 Turbo on the exact same drive. The Porsche makes 450hp, has 245 and 315 tires, coil over suspension, front and rear sway bars and a G50 5spd. It's a beast. Compared to the F355 the Porsche has much more explosive power once on boost. The Porsche has much stronger brakes. I am an experienced track driver in my Porsche.

The F355 is an amazing, balanced machine. I felt comfortable in the F355 very quickly. The F355 turns in so fast its mind boggling. Although the power isn't as explosive, it comes on very predictably and is certainly enough to be entertaining. Giving the balance of the mid engine design I could drive the car at a fast pace very confidently. I felt like the F355 was taunting me to go faster and faster. Just awesome.

The Porsche on the other hand is thrilling because, it feels like its trying to kill you. I drive this car all the time yet I was more confident in the F355 on my first day with it. With the Porsche you have to use those big brakes to slow way down to enter a turn, then feed in the power and explode out of the turn. With the F355 you can just carry your speed into the turn.

The F355 I felt was easier to drive fast.

The bottom line is that I believe if driven properly by an expert the Porsche is the faster car, however for an average driver the F355 would be faster.

Both cars are magical and offer tremendous bang for the buck. Both make incredible sounds.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)