View Single Post

Thanks Noah. I hear ya about the tech's. I guess it just kinda depends who you get.

One time for me they tried to put the test probe in the waste gate pipe....funny. And one time when asked I did say..."Ya...that must be the CAT".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah930 View Post
Yes, technically they look for anything and everything. The visual test is done before the sniffer test. However, how hard they look is up to the technician doing the test, if you catch my drift.

The first time I had the car smogged in CA, my air pump was present but not connected (PO had disconnected it). The tech doing the test must have stared at it for 5 minutes, but didn't say a thing. In the meantime, another tech looking over our shoulders was talking with me and whispered that next time I should have it hooked up.

My car is stock so its not an issue for me, but yes you need to have the original exhaust (again, technically) to pass the visual. I know most Californians go to the effort of sticking the stock exhaust back on every 2 years for the smog test. But anecdotally people have pointed to the muffler and claimed it to be the cat and gotten away with it.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)