View Single Post

Garage
Well Cole, I appreciate you taking the time to help. It helps a lot, and makes it a lot more fun too.

The distributor is out...

With my extensive knowledge - as in NONE - I'd say it is messed up some.

For detemining TDC on #1 I used a hose I have got from a compression test set - Worked fine.

I have a trigger to engage the starter while working at the engine. It made it very easy to crank the engine. While doing this I could see (with the cap off) that the spikes on 805 and 811 seems to interfere with each other when turning over the engine. This or maybe something else causes the advance mech (i guess) to stick in one position.

There is moderate radial play in the shaft and a LOT of axial play.

The little pipe on the advance mech. (800) is loose, and maybe leaking. I have however not had a problem building boost.

The conclusion is that I think the DIST needs rebuilding.

Is this it, not sure.

There is one more thing: I think it is really hard to turn over the engine with a wrench. Two weeks ago just after this all happened, it was real easy, now it's not ??????????????? - even with the DIST off.
I had to tighten the fan ALT belt to do it. Well, it needed tightening anyways. I think I'll buy a new outer pulley half since the oval shaped hole seems worn, and off center.

I'll try to put on my torque wrench, if it'll fit, to see how mush torque it actually takes to turn over the engine.

This worries me, but also makes me wonder, since it was real easy to do two weeks ago under the same conditions.
www.stauningwhisky.dk

Last edited by jsveb; 06-20-2011 at 01:30 PM..
Old 06-20-2011, 01:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)