View Single Post

At this point I'd buy twelve 2.5" long stainless steel or regular steel 8.8 hardness 8x1.25mm bolts and cut the heads off with a cut off wheel on a die grinder.
Clamp them in a bench vise to hold them or screw them into something heavy while cutting the heads off.
Then bevel the sharp edge of the cut a little with the side of the spinning cut off wheel or a grinding wheel while twirling the new stud you just made in your fingers to make the small bevel even all the way around. Screw in the stud with your cut edge inwards bottoming it out snug and use plenty of anti seize on the threads so it can be removed if you want.

Some people say don't use regular stainless steel studs because they can gall but I've done this with the 4 studs on the hot side of the turbo with antiseize and had no problem so I'd be tempted to try it with the exhaust port studs and see how it works.

enjoy your new studs.

You may be able to just buy the studs you want locally but sometimes they are hard to find and studs are usually more expensive than bolts so it's cheaper to buy the bolts and make studs out of them.
Get the bolts a little longer and you'll have 12 new short 8x1.25mm stainless or 8.8 bolts left over from the cut off part.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)