View Single Post

Jesper,

I thought I should try to explain the method of my madness as I suggest how to proceed to diagnose your engine issue. I feel we may be confusing you, and it's important you do not start going all directions at once.

We have picked up on the one indicator that points in a logical direction, the exhaust glowing red. That tells you one of two things immediately 1. extremely lean fuel condition 2. extremely retarded timing.

Your checking CIS CP has indicated you were a little low but not dangerously low. If you initial issue (glowing exhaust) had occurred under heavy boost and at higher rpm that might have indicated the slightly low control pressure was an issue but it would not
make the exhaust glow red at 45 mph. Consequently I asked that you pull the distributor, now we have found, we do in fact, have issues with the distributor.

We could compile an entire list of "it could be's" but it could be's will just send you in 25 directions at once and that doesn't work.

I know you are concerned about the hard turning of the crank shaft and the noise you experienced when you first tried to roll it over. But that can also happen if at some time during this whole process you turned the crank counterclockwise and reverse loaded the timing chains , sprockets, and idlers then when you roteted it clockwise again if bound up, poped loose and continued in a clockwise direction with little effort and no noise.. Now, we could go off half cocked and start tearing things down and pulling the engine out but at this point that would be premature.

We know we have distributor issues, you need to fix it, replace it, borrow a distributot or install a crank fire ignition and pitch the original set up. You are DOA if we can't fire the engine and our prime indicators tell us this all started with the distributor.

Our compression test was curious but not necessarily a definate indicator that we have engine damage. 1 & 4 were low but there was compression there and low compression could be several things from high miles engine wear to bent valves. But it could also be dry cylinders, broken ring, or a ring hanging up on the land. Upside is we did have compression in all 6 cylinders.

The list of checks I sent you last nite are exploratory to detect any broken or to loose or to tight rockers and also to give us and indication of how the cam timing looks, You do not want to f--- with pulling chain covers and looking at cam timing if you don't have to. Depending on what we see next we will either try to start the motor or pull engine and trans and redo the top end.

Lets do this in a logical progression based on what we find as we go along.

A couple things that will help: Order Waynes 911 rebuild book. $22.00 at Pelican.
What are your present engine specs. / mods. How many miles on this engine, Last rebuild or refresh and what was done.

You have my number and never hesetate to call if you need me. Don't loose your s--- here, the only end of the world is the end of the world. Two years ago I was told I only had 6 months to live and I'm still here and Cancer free. Look at this as another of Life's great adventures, we will get through this.

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.

Last edited by cole930; 06-25-2011 at 05:38 AM..
Old 06-25-2011, 05:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)