View Single Post
Large Member

Garage
headers complete - took the 930 to Climb to the Clouds

Well, it 'only' took 5wks but I finally finished up Projekt 930 Header Install from Hell. I literally finished it up about 5min prior to departing on a 600mi round trip excursion to cover Climb to the Clouds | The 2011 Climb To the Clouds Hillclimb for Tuner Cars, European Import, & Sports Cars - European Car Magazine (btw my most recent bit is that red Audi Cq on the middle / left of the homepage).

Pretty nutty shaking a car down on a roadtrip like this, esp after all the work I did to it (valve adj, motor mounts, accumulator, control pressure tinkering, adj WUR, etc. - more on that in other threads) but I really wanted to take it, and I'm not that smart.

Bombed up 91N with my neighbor in his 40th anniv 'Vette and a bud in his Audi V8q (yes that's the model), 4.2 5spd. Nothing like shredding mile upon mile of fighterpattern WOT @ completely Just Not Right speeds - fun times. Headers sure do make the car a ton more driveable - hey... throttle response!

The car ran the 4.5hr trip really well, and managed to only get 'a talking to' 1x (and 3x too close for comfort / 'won't shart for a week' other instances) there / back!

We shot Sat practice from just before the finish line (they ran 1/2 course to let the upper gravel sections recover from the torrents of rain the days prior):

When the course went cold @ noon they opened up the road for us to rip up / down as much as we wanted (muwhahahaa). Took some time to shoot my POS just above the 1/2 course finish line:

Also grabbed a few shots @ the summit - crazy visibility, and maybe 45*:

Later we futzed around the paddock all day / night with the band playing and the bierz flowin, a bunch of my Audiot friends invaded the place (like a dozen urQ's!) so we had some really great times hanging together.

Sun we shot the race (full course) from Cragway which afforded some amazing action. Only Porsche content here is a 944S driven by the guy who maintains the Auto Road in a Snow Cat in the winter 8-). Regardless, the entries were incredulous - Peter Sachs' 8C2300, one of 200 and w/ full provinenance... mind bending (Nuvolari ran it in the '33 LeMans, and it won CTTC in '37) watching it rip up the course.

Higgins from Isle of Man decimated the record by a near eternal 10sec:

A highlight for me was getting a run up the course Sat in this '34 special - flathead Ford V8, Bugatti tail, Model A front suspension... this car has huge history, winning CTTC, and being campaigned all over. It was an honor and a privelage! Sadly, he put a wheel off just up the road from our vantage point Sunday and stuffed it up pretty good.

Interestingly, CTTC was run the same day as Pike's Peak. While 'only' 6,288' high, it lacks the guard rails, street lines, and width. It sure ain't yer grandma's backyard!

If you haven't been, it's highly recommended!

| '07 S6 | '98 M3 vert | '01 M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 S8 | '95 S6 6gang | '88 M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |

Last edited by krasuskyp; 06-30-2011 at 08:08 AM..
Old 06-30-2011, 07:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)