View Single Post

When testing the sintered brass vent to atmosphere on the sump tank for leaks after shutdown be sure to try that with the car parked uphill. Sometimes you have to park on an uphill slope in a driveway, parking lot, or streetside and it's possible that sump tank may fill up with more hot oil than on level ground and overflow out.

Also it's very likely and possible there are times at lower speeds the scavange pump will be sucking more volume than the amount of oil draining from the turbo will supply to it and there will be a good vacuum in the turbo sump tank from the scavange pumps suction.
My scavange pump has very high suction and vacuum even at idle speed - I know I've checked that with the hose in a cup of oil to check it and with my finger on the AN hose fitting at idle and the suction felt extreme.

In that situation if the sump tank has vacuum in it from the scavange pump the optional sintered brass air vent you have on there will be allowing outside unfiltered air to be sucked into the sump tank and engine oil.
In heavy rainy weather do to it's location inches from the road that can also suck dirty water into your oil supply.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)