View Single Post

930 Coilover Conversion Complete..w\ Pics!

In case you guys do not frequent the regular Tech section:

Well..I have a big weekend planned..refresh my entire front suspension, detail and convert the car to coilovers from Rebel S Racing (RSR Projects Home). I worked closely with Clint from Rebel S Racing and he was wonderful, patient and great \ honest to work with, his products speak for themselves.

The car is an '89 930 with 60K and has never had any suspension work. Car is a 100% street car that will never be tracked and the spring ratings on the coilovers were chosen to be progressive compliant and match this application. I have owned this car for 6+years and it has been (sadly) sitting for most of the past 2years, it will be driven after this project is completed hopefully this weekend...cross fingers!

The plan is keep the stock sway bars
- RSR bushings
- New rubber sway bar bushings
- New ball joints with all new OEM Lemforder wedge pins, catle nuts and lock washers
- New tie rod kit with anti-rub spacer
- New front RSR coilovers (250# Eibach with 200# Bilstein tender spring) with restored housings, reinforced (gusset plates welded) housings and revalved Bilsteins
- New rear RSR coilovers (150# Eibach Spring) on new Bilstein Rear Sport Shock
- Rennline dual bar strut brace
- Sand and paint wheel wells
- Powder coat
- New stainless fasteners
- Detail wheels

The rear RSR coilovers will be used in conjunction with the stock and re-indexed torsion bars to address the squat issues these cars have a tendency to have under hard acceleration.

The first set of pictures are the front suspension tear down from a previous weekend (you can see the tire rub on the inner fender). I had previously added the 993 Turbo brakes in the summer of 2007.

Enjoy the pics. questions, comments, feedback please add.

Wheels removed and 23years of driving, stock fender wheel wells:

Underside of car:

Front Torsion Bars coming out..easy:

Separating the front ball joint from the strut housing..stubborn:

A-Arms out, sway bar and shields:
Old 07-08-2011, 07:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)