View Single Post

Garage
I am a happy guy today. Cam coming out = made my month. Visions of dollars danced in my head... as in new heads needed, head work, aye yie yie!

I was reading the web for a solution to the stuck cam and found little help. Some 928 owners noted the cams must come out reversed, one front, the other back. I planned to do that if all else failed - it did. Before removing out the back, I inspected each cam housing bearing in the heads. Some with my fingers - I noticed no imperfections. The cam initially came out far enough for the rear cam journal to entirely enter the next housing bearing. The journal in front of the rear journal was entering the next housing bearing - it was there I focused a lot of attention - nothing seen or felt.

I know my digits are not calibrated (yet) but they are sensitive - down to a .001 of an inch variations detected - according to scientists.

The cam was flawless upon inspection.

I did have to tap the cam out - used the plastic end of screw driver (No hammer) - so not much "umph" was needed. Once the rear journal passed its housing bearing the cam came right out. I could not do that - tap the cam - extracting the cam out the front. Nor did I want to force the cam. I'm hoping it was just one of those things. Now it is out I can inspect the housing bearings better.

The engine ran fine prior to this engine work and nothing (except the one cam) has gone awry during dismantling.

Any advice on replacing the rocker arm components good idea/bad idea?
Old 07-11-2011, 06:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)