View Single Post

Exactly... the correct little bent handle .004" feeler gauge in between the elephant foot and vale stem is the only way to do it. Takes a little experience sliding it back and forth for and aft in relation to the handle to get it under the elephant foot that likes to pitch sideways a little and make it difficult if they are already a snug .004". Or just loosen them and readjust it if your back is sore and you don't have the patience.
I've tried the "backside method" I read about here and it's ridiculous. You can only get the feel for the right drag while pulling the skinny feeler gauge out because it will just bend while pushing it in. That sucks.

I set them to a snug .004" with the proper feeler gauge and that is the best way for me.
Open the engine lid and look at the origonal tune up sticker on the right side if it's still there. It says, valve lash: intake and exhaust .004" plus or minus .002"
That means a snug .004" which may actually be .003" -.0035" will be just fine.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)