View Single Post

First, allow me to state in my own defense as a self-proclaimed master of third world engineering that I have never been stumped by something as mundane as a stubborn gas cap. I blame my episode this morning on insufficient caffein and cigarettes prior to the daily commute.

Second, the "cool factor" was getting in the way of my self esteem at the local Chevron. It just wouldn't do for the perceived spoiled rich focker old man trying to gas up his fancy-pantsy sports car but couldn't even figure how to open the friggin' cap. So, I just kindof sauntered around being cool, having changed my mind on the gas thing in lieu of spashing some vile dirty water on the windshield instead.

I figured I would get some good pointers from y'all. My norm - when stumped like this - is to apply heat, so torching as one of you mentioned was a good idea. I was about to strike a flame when I thought maybe I would try one more time.

So.....I put some muscle into it (first, fortefied with a beer, which usually loosens up my inhibitions sufficiently to go for broke). Muscle did the trick, the dude unscrewed. I do believe that it was simply slightly corroded threats (aluminum, ya know) that just gave too much resistance. That, plus my failing memory of how the mechanism works. It's just a simple damn screw on cap, for Christ's sake.

Anyway she's off, cleaned, and lightly coated with that secret formula fish oil + 39 other ingredients in a spray can. Also sprayed some down inside of the internal ratcheting mechanism which - if I do recall now - has never ratcheted until now. Probably the dern thing was on too tight.

To all, thanks for the advice. A nice departure from "my car won't start" questions. Now to head back down to the Chevron to reclaim my self esteem.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)