View Single Post

Garage
jwasbury: That may be true (probably is, I just don't know myself) but a race car that spends its life in the upper rev range may not need to alter the timing for power all across the band. For a street car that routinely launches from 800 rpm and occassionaly (or more) winds it up to redline, advance is not created equal across the rev band.

Throw in the changing amount of boost depending on throttle position, rpm, and load, and you have another variable that requires advance adjustment.

I'm sure you can lock in an advance number and have the engine run fine, but it can't possibly be optimal across revs for a street car.

I am by no means an expert on this topic (or any other Porsche topic!), but I learned a lot tinkering with this recently, and my 930 definitely responds significantly to adjustments in the advance curve.
17 NSX - Nouvelle Blue
Old 07-18-2011, 01:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)