View Single Post

Gremlins and weird mother mo-jo

Anyone ever own an AMC Gremlin? Me neither, thank God, and I wouldn't admit it if I had. But, I definitely have some gremlin that hitched a ride from the mother country back in '87 that's casting some weird mo-jo spell on my 930.

Awhile back I posted a topic about my AFR's going super rich, but only above about 3000 rpms and only after the car has sat off while up to temp for 10 minutes or so.

Also recently, I posted about my battery doing the stink-bomb thing...but only after the car has been shut down hot and allowed to sit for 10 minutes or so, the stinkage beginning upon startup. I hooked up a voltmeter the other day to monitor what's going on. Charging is fine (well a bit high, about 14.5 v all the time) until she sits hot for the afformentioned 10 minutes. On startup I get about 16.5 volts charging, rising up to almost 18 at 3000 rpms. And guess what - my AFR's take a nose dive at the same time. Hmmmmmmmm.....a causative link I suspect? My guess is that I am not having issues with fuel pressure control, but rather my LC1 wide band is doing the funky chicken with 18 volts being fed to it and giving faulty readings. Something for y'all to chew on.

Finally, having never been into the alternator before, I can't believe that the regulator components can't be repaired/rebuilt/replaced, vs. doing the entire alternator. Gotta be a diode gone toast on me when she gets heat soaked. Any experience with a do-it-yourself component rebuild?
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)