Thread: my new 930
View Single Post

I may be wrong but those look like German made RH 3.6 wheels in 964 turbo offset.
RH Wheels Porsche P-3.6 (P2)

RH 3.6 wheels available from GMP in Charlotte, NC are a very high quality 3 piece copy of the Speedline wheels that came on the 1994 964 3.6 turbo.
You would be running spacers to fit those wheels on a 911 turbo because they are more positive offset then a 930 wheel.

There is a good member here that rebuilds and sells 3 piece wheels and using a stencil or something on the aluminum he can etch or beadblast the words "Speedline for Porsche" into the outer rim half (not sure how he does it) and then he sprays a thin clearcoat on them that is unfortunately not completely waterproof and will slowly corrode under the clearcoat if rain water sits on them overnight. The corrosion happens under the clearcoat though so unfortunately you can't polish it off.

I have the same wheels in 930 offset with silver painted centers and no spacers and no etching. The bolts on mine are 7mm with 12 point heads while yours look like 6 point torx or something though.

Speedlines I've seen usually have a slight concave area running down the middle of the 5 spokes and RH are near flat on the surface and rounded on the edges like these along the surface of the spokes.

I'm not saying yours are definately RH, just that they look like alot them and German RH wheels are just as good quality as the origonal Speedlines that I think were made in Italy.
It would say on the back side of the rims.

If you want to remove what looks like minor curb rash I see on that rim edge near the yellow circle on the tire sidewall have the outer tire bead broken and pushed inward away from the edge on a tire machine and then carefully use a DA (dual action) sander on only the edge with sandpaper starting with 150 or 220 grit and work your way in steps out to 1200 grit.

If there is some curb rash all the way around you can also mount the wheel on the back of the car while it is jacked up and then put it in 4th gear and running let the wheel spin at idle speed while you hold the sander or piece of slighty used ultra fine 1200 grit wet or dry sandpaper against the edge of the rim to give it a nice final polished shiny smooth finish.
Then inflate the tire and the tire bead will pop back out to the edge of the rim where it is now.

It's a good idea to put some masking tape on the polished rim area in from the edge to protect it from a possible slip with the sander if you do this. Resale value of wheels is higher without curb rash or scratches on the edge.

Nice car, my '87 is very a similar color - venetian blue.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)