Thread: 901/911 tranny
View Single Post
Scott Cooper

Garage
901/911 tranny

Three years ago on the basis of pelican website testimonials I replaced my transmission lubricant with Swepco 201 in my '71 911T. My transmission, a 901/911, is the original transmission installed by the Porsche factory. Over the course of two years, a severe gear clash developed when upshifting from 1st to 2nd gear. As the transmission was 40 years old, I assumed it was time for a transmission rebuild. To get ready for transmission rebuild task, I reread Mike Caterino's "transmission refurb" link several times. In addition to purchasing a well worn 901/911 tranny for practice disassembly and reassembly, I also bought the special tools required to tackle this job. One of our local Buffalo experts suggested I replace the Swepco lubricant with Kendall NS-MP fluid. After draining the old lubricant and replacing with Kendall, purchased from our host, I drove the car about 200 miles and again drained the transmission lubricant and replaced with another 2.5 quarts of Kendall 80W-90 fluid. Unbelievably, the gear clash from 1st to 2nd is completely gone. As a matter of fact, the downshift from 2nd to 1st is now possible without coming to a full stop. My 40-year old transmission does not need a "refurb." My lesson learned is to stick with the Porsche factory recommendations.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)