View Single Post

Question My car does not start…

I read the thread and the answer may be in there, but I don’t see it yet.
I have a 77 turbo. Itt had a 77 S engine in it and the wiring had been hacked to make that engine work. Car could be started and driven this way.
I bought a 3.0 turbo engine that was in a non turbo car. The engine ran in that car. The engine had a broken head stud so was taken down enough to replace all the studs and re-assembled.
Engine is now in car and wired up but not correctly because the car does not start. Engine turns over.
There is no spark at the coil and the Fuel pumps do not activate when turning on the key. They also do not activate when manually operating the metering plate. Each will run if we jump at the fuel pump relay. Swapping relays makes no difference. I have black relays rather than red relays. Are the red relays special? There are some unconnected wires near the CDI. One is a red wire that goes into a single wire connector. The other is a red/white wire with a connector on it. We are thinking that they connect to each other but doing so does not solve the problem. The “does not start thread” talks about a yellow relay in the engine compartment. Did 77 turbo’s have a yellow relay? From the pictures showing where the yellow relay is, it looks like I have a round black relay instead of a yellow one.
The 77 S engine had an ignition cutout rigged up to the rear wiper switch. We do not understand how it worked and the rear wiper switch wires are currently not connected to anything. We are a bit suspicious that this may be the problem but do not at this time know how it may have been wired to work.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)