View Single Post
Wayah Road Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
Thats a good post with pictures for finding the jumper wire between fuel pump relays and installing a seperate fuse holder for each fuel pump relay but drilling holes in the top of the relay panel for the fuse holder wires to pass through especially without rubber grommets is totally unnessesary and just a bad idea that creates the chance for short circuts down the road.

There's more than plenty of room to safely run the 12 gauge wires from the blade fuse holders out from under the back edge of the relay panel closest to the windsheild.

I didn't know there were 2 phillips head screws and a plastic standoff spacer under the one closest to the windsheild. They must have been dropped and lost before I got the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-man930 View Post
Thanks for the write up - I would have placed the fuse holders closer to the battery, maybe zip tied them to the positive wire bundle, then fed the leads under the fuse tray to hide the modification... but it will owrk just fine either way, and + 1 on grommets.
The location of this wiring mod as well as the drilling and holes were specifically located where they were so that the state of the fuses could been seen by me without removing the cover and also so that the next owner or any mechanic working on the car (if there ever is one) would clearly see this mod had been done. These are the two fuses you quickly want to be able to see on a dark and stormy night as you poke under the hood in the middle of the mountains.

If I was working for NASA or Boeing, I would have put in grommets but really ... I am a SHADETREE mechanic ... we don't need no stinking grommets. (Edit) Truth is ... I subsequently used some 1/4 hose and made grommets/sleeves for the wires ... risk mitigated. [/B]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike80911 View Post
Shadetree am I correct in assuming that with this mod you are sending constant power to the relays and not switched power? Is that the way it is done originally? Looks like a worthwile endeavor just want to make sure I am doing it right.
Purpose is to take some load off the original equipment single wire/two relay design which was prone to blowing fuses due to overheating.

I am no electrical guru so don't know if relays are constantly powered. Someone much smarter about electrical will have to answer that question. This was just my interpretation of someone else's modification that I picked up from this excellent fuel pump wiring thread ...

930 fuel pump relay wiring - once and for all

Last edited by Shadetree930; 08-04-2011 at 05:35 AM..
Old 08-03-2011, 10:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)