View Single Post

"If I was working for NASA or Boeing, I would have put in grommets but really ... I am a SHADETREE mechanic ... we don't need no steekin grommets. Having said that, where would I get some grommets?"

The holes you drilled have sharp edges that can cut through the insulation on those fuse holder wires going through them. Vibration from driving and movement of the fuse holders like when someone unsnaps and pulls aside the trunk carpet away to do something underneath will do it eventually and if the 12 gauge wire that is on the side going directly to the battery eventually shorts out there you will definately have a fire about 1 foot away from the gas tank and rubber hose in the gas tank fill tube.

Rubber grommets? radio shack or any other electronics supply store will have bags of them. You don't even have to remove a wire from a hole. You could cleanly cut one side of a proper size rubber grommet for that hole with a razor blade and put it over the wire, slide it down and push it into the hole with your fingers and it will keep the wire insulation away from the sheet metal.
If grommets are a stretch you could do the same thing with short little pieces of vacuum line over those wires.

Shouldn't take longer than 2 minutes to do that.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)