View Single Post
Registered

would you believe...

First, thanks to Kevin@ultimate for a free flowing and never ending supply of valuable information, insights and random but pertinent turbo stories.

Not too far back had UNW rebuild my HiFlow after coked oil damage and finally got around to the install last evening. I followed the very specific install and run instructions (prime the scavenge pump, oil into the brand new fill tube and crank the engine to get the oil moving without starting.) Idle the car in the drive, no smoke and no leaks. Car into the street, no boost, low rpm and after a stop sign of two I hear a noise sounds like a bottle rocket whistle (before it explodes). Just once. Seemed to be running fine but now I'm a little gun shy so I turn around and park it, prob 5 miles total. Talk to Kevin and discuss possible failure points etc., nothing sounds good at this pointso pack up and call it a night. Pull it apart this am, shaft turns fine, spins freely with a very small amount of axial play. Pull the oil feed and the oil is strangely under pressure when I loosen the fitting, hmmm... Pull the turbo and pull the brand new factory oil feed (it still has oil in it), unbelievably the hole for the feed isnt punched out of the gasket which arrived attached to the oil inlet. Who would've thought, especially since the mount holes were punched. The turbo had actually run on nothing but Kevin's assembly lube. Nothing to do at this point but to put it all back together although I was emotionally preparing myself for leaking oil, lots of smoke and another trip back to the rebuild shop... Turned the key, fired the engine and remarkably not a drop of oil of a puff of smoke was to be seen anywhere, all on assembly lube...

Last edited by slyguy; 08-03-2011 at 03:07 PM..
Old 08-03-2011, 03:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)