View Single Post

Still haven't answered the original question, other than testimony that the small ones seem to work fine. What happens to your AFR's when on full boost and the small ones can't flow the fuel? Huh>>>>>...just a thought, based on nothing. There has to be a reason why different years and different engine displacements require different accumulators.

So, let's disect this thing (disclaimer: I am NOT an automotive engineer but have a warped and admittedly twisted anal logical thinking mind, which has been my downfall more often that I care to admit).
What...the accumulator's function is to "accumulate" a certain quantity of fuel and hold it at a pressure over time to facilitate starting so you're not starving your injectors while waiting for the pumps to prime the lines. Provided your injectors don't slowly leak down, then all is well as you have this great reservoir of fuel on-demand.

Smaller reservoir = less volume of fuel being held in reserves at said pressure. Could be that the 3.0 liter engine's injectors flow less fuel, thus the need for a larger reserve isn't necessary...thus the smaller accumulator, vs. a 3.3 liter engine. The difference might not be noticeable if using the smaller accumulator on a larger engine, other than maybe a couple seconds of stumble once she fires up because the "reservoir" has run dry before the pumps can compensate.

Ya dig? (oops, dating my self again)
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.

Last edited by mark houghton; 08-04-2011 at 06:24 PM..
Old 08-04-2011, 06:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)