View Single Post

Garage
930 3.5 Liter Twinplug Racing Engine....sputter then stall...Help!

Got an issue that is driving me crazy and to the poor house at the same time. Have a California trasnsplanted 1980 930 turbo slantnose twinplug 3.5 with mahle 100mm pistons....engine recently rebuilt with new pistons and barrels, new twin plug distributor cap,etc. Car had been very strong but all kinds of OEM stuff had to be reinstalled to pass inspection/registration in Canada. Leakdown test had revealed issues with rings and on inspection pistons had been beat up so entire engine was rebuilt. Recently had a new cold start system and injector installed to help with cold start issues. Had headers all heat wrapped to reduce under hood heat. Here are the symptoms of what my mechanics at Alpine Porsche in Calgary are unable to solve. There are several issues here.
The car now fires up Ok if I've had it on the charger overnight, but smokes like a mofo about 2 minutes after starting,,,,very embarassing. ...it then cleans up as you start to drive and runs fine for 30-45 mins until the temp guage just clears the cold line and moves 1 cm above it.......at this point the engine will stutter/miss several times and within 2 minutes it will backfire repeatedly and I am forced to pull over or it will stall out ....I then sit for 1 hour to allow the engine to cool....the engine can sometimes be a hard start but then it runs fine and I head for home before it leaves me stranded again. Could it be the fuel is being vaporized by the heat in the lines even though the guage is not even close to half way???? I am desparate and after 3 or 4 visits over the last year am discouraged. The smoke issue on initial I think is from the valves....or is it a worn seal in the turbo?

Last edited by spanky930; 08-10-2011 at 06:30 AM..
Old 08-10-2011, 06:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)