View Single Post

Hi Guys,
Thanks so much for your input. I would love to get to the cause of the cracked cylinder for two reasons.
1- Because I'm scared $hitless that it will repeat a $econd time.
2- So others may be spared a similar very disheartening experience.
If I had become more knowledgeable then as I am becoming now, because of this valuable exchange of Pelican experiences, I may have prevented this very costly failure.
The inspection of the pistons were made by my shop and the non heat damaged condition, seemed to suggest that the pistons were unaffected by the events that caused the broken rings and cracked cylinder. It did not seem like a heat generated detonation.
What was evident, even after the rebuild, was the distributor advance and retard were non functional and required a new separate advance/retard pod that simply attaches to the side of the distributor.
When the car was droping off the torque curve before 4,000 rpm, I did research on this forum and many members suggested to check the advance/retard.
When I suggested this to my mechanic he said "many 930's he services are running fine without advance/retard.
Then, I insisted on installing this very easy $150 part.
Then the car pulled hard into the upper rpm range like the difference between night and day.
So, what do you boys think?
What may have contributed to the broken rings and cracked cylinder?

Last edited by NY930; 08-16-2011 at 02:59 PM..
Old 08-16-2011, 02:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)