View Single Post
Kartoffelkopf

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
Only the cartridge assembly is placed in the balancing machine. That is the bearing housing with the backplate in place and the turbine wheel and shaft, and compressor wheel.
The compressor cover and turbine housing don't need to be attached to spin it up with air pressure and grind metal off the turbine wheel "nut" to balance the assembly.

After balancing is done the compressor cover and turbine housing is installed and it's done.

Watch the video... Turbo Technics VSR balancing machines - YouTube

edit: this video may be better, i don't get sound on the other one.
High-speed turbo balancing machine - YouTube
Thanks JFairman....wow...what a small world....Turbo Technics is owned by a chap called Geoff Kershaw, who we used to go racing with (Hillclimb & Sprinting here in the UK) in the mid 90's! He ran a devilishly quick Ford Sierra XR4x4, twin turbo'd V6 Cologne engine...Grp A RS500 Cosworth quick...used to give us a run for our money in a 7-esque Westfield with very trick (N/A touring car spec) Vauxhall (GM) 2.0l XE that weighed chuff-all.

Very interesting video...learning all the time with this turbocharging "witchcraft" God there's a helluva lot to get my head around here....but with this forum, Bruce Andersons and A. Graham Bell's books, I may just get there. Maybe.

Cheers!
Old 08-19-2011, 03:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)