View Single Post
Somewhere in the Midwest

Got a look at the car yesterday and who ever reassembled the car appears to have done a rush job...or was just plain careless. I'm sorry to be to frank, Cliff. Wiring to gauges was not right...some dead, some erratic. I recommended sorting all this out. A time consuming task of making sure all the connectors and terminals are correct behind the gauges. The factor boost dial was dead, but there was a factory boost sender on the cooler. The after market boost gauge was working. It got over 1.5 bars. I suspect the wastegate isn't functioning. Never heard it dump the exhaust when the boost built up. I recommended taking the boost adjuster out of series and just vent the top of the wastegate to see if it even functions right. I recommended checking the wastegate spring. Who knows what's in there. You can pressure test it or just run the line from the cooler (intake pressure) to the wastegate and see if you hear it open up under boost. You should just take the thing apart and see what spring is in there. We were checking so many things yesterday that I missed doing all his, but it's simple to do.

Here is a diagram for you.. http://www.tialmedia.com/documents/w3_tial_wginstall.pdf

Here is a link to the Tial tech page. ..go to the spring section for your wastegate model and see if you can tell:

TiAL Sport.com

As I said yesterday:

*Sort out the gauge wiring and check the wastegate.
*check the plugs and plug wires
*I'd do a compression test on the engine just to be sure you have acceptable pressure

If you want to drive the car until it gets cold out, at least get the gauge wiring sorted and check the wastegate. The after market gauge may be fine. Getting the gauges sorted will give you critical operating information. Making sure the wastegate works will limit you boost until the someone goes over the engine and build confidence that running a higher boost level won't hurt it. Get a .8 bar spring in there and then worry about the CIS tuning.

Sorry I couldn't do more for you yesterday, but all the things we found would take a good day's work to go through just to get to the point where I am comfortable making further analysis.

Last edited by MotoSook; 08-22-2011 at 12:34 PM..
Old 08-22-2011, 12:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)