Thread: Ic upgrade ?
View Single Post

"I want to keep my A/C and not stuff around to much.
The IC is twenty years old.
Any advantage going for something a bit bigger?"

I've had 2 different Garretson half bay intercoolers on my car and now I have a Kokeln.
The Kokeln is no longer made and it was and still is the best halfbay intercooler ever made for a 911 turbo or 930. intercooler

The high quality louvered fin core in a Kokeln is the same width and thickness as the Garretson but the core is 2" longer front to back. You can feel the rear exit side end tank is alot cooler on the Kokeln after driving the car.
Only downside is it weighs a little more than a Garretson because the large cast aluminum end tanks are around 1/4 - 3/8" thick.

Kokeln really worked at and figured out how to make it as big as possible and still fit under the stock tail with the windsheild wiper motor, stock air cleaner housing, and AC condensor installed.

The halfbay Garretson that was on my car when I bought it had cast end tanks and was a shortneck intercooler. Your Andial is the same one and is made by Garretson and all of them I've seen were easy bolt on short neck intercoolers with cast end tanks.

When a Garretson longneck with hand fabricated polished end tanks appeared for sale here around 4 years ago I bought it and sold my short neck intercooler.
There was no difference in performance under boost but with the long neck intercooler you ditch the obsolete slow responding and heavy factory recirculation blow off manifold and install a small light weight 964 turbo type recirculation blow off valve and CIS rubber elbow hose with mounting boss off the air flow meter to install it. It reacts faster and reduces compressor surge and turbo lag during upshifts. You also need a pipe to connect the rubber elbow hose to the steel down pipe.

So, if you find a good price on a Kokeln - buy it and sell your Garrestson and that is an upgrade that cools the intake air down more than a Garretson so you can theoretically run a little higher boost without detonation if you have at least 93 octane fuel. Especially if you're going to track the car and want to keep your tail mount AC condensor for the street during summertime.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)