View Single Post
Jiu Jitsu Grappler

Garage
[QUOTE=Tilikum Turbo;6221690]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodsrsr View Post
I believe the 3.2 has the same exact crank and rods as the turbo, plus you also get the added benefit of EFI with the Carrera 3.2 motronic ECU. The main difference in the motors is the compression ratio. I just did this conversion on my rebuilt 3.2. I think that there are several ways to go about doing it, so I suggest doing your research first. In terms of drivability, a turboed 3.2 is a great combination with virtually zero lag and tons of power even at moderate boost levels. There are many guys on this forum that have put together some nice 3.2 turbo conversions....actually kinda inspired me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodsrsr View Post

That's great that many here have went doing the home version of putting a turbo on a NA motor in terms of getting HP on a budget, but Porsche never applied that route doing the 930 on the cheap.

Since a complete 930 engine(although a lot more expensive than a turbo kit) bolted up to my existing tranny/chassis, it was a no brainer for me, in terms of having a car that started up on the first turn of the key, with absolutely no issues trying to reverse engineer fuel systems/electronics/ignitions/reduced compression ratios etc.

If it ever comes time to sell or trade(and getting top dollar), anyone in the know about these cars will surely appreciate the fact that an unmolested/stock 930 engine(just as in buying a 930 outright that is stock) rests in the engine bay versus a home-build engine.

I would say, if you track your car...GO for it, do what you want. But just like doing home improvements on a house that you'll probably sell sometime in the future, what may seem slick to you, may actually de-value your investment long term.

Nothings permanent...everything you 'own; or have in life eventually will be gone someday.

It sounds like your regretting your decision to put a stock turbo motor in vs converting...... I'm there for you...

1976 Turbo Coupe 3.2
2009 Carerra S 997.2 (SOLD)
Old 08-27-2011, 08:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)