View Single Post

Sounds like around 75% of that bill is labor and parts markup.
In my '87 I installed a Rennaire system with Sanden 507 compressor and aluminum adjustment bracket, pro cooler reciever dryer, desert duty serpentine front condensor, serpentine evaporator with R134 expansion valve, and barrier hoses that was about $1400 in parts.
I also put a 10" fan on the bottom of the origonal tube and fin tail condensor, and a Zims left rear fender well serpentine condensor kit with 10" fan.

Total parts cost was about $2100. I'm in hot and humid S. Florida and vent temps are around 50 degrees below outside ambient temps. I see and enjoy 35 degree left side vent temps on 85 degree days while driving and 45 degrees when it's around noon with full overhead sun heat load and it's 95 degrees in the shade outside. I havn't added any R134 in a little over a year now.

I have my own tools for evacuating and charging the R134 AC in my 2 cars.

If you don't have a 10" fan on the bottom of the rear condensor sucking air down through it that is wired to come on with the compressor then put one on. It takes about an hour or two to install one with the little push plastic fan mounts and good USA made 10" fans are around $70 and that will make more of a difference than anything else you can do to get colder vent temps.

It's too hot in florida during summer to go without AC unless you can't afford it. Then you just sweat alot, wear wet clothing while sticking to the seats, nearly pass out waiting at stop lights on sunny days while panhandlers pester you.. and deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by remroc View Post
I just spent a lot of money ($2100) having my AC worked on. New compressor, hoses, front condenser fan, conversion to R134A, etc. The results are disappointing. The air coming out of the outlets is only 10 degrees cooler that the outside temp. Is this all I can expect from the system? It is better than nothing but not by much.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)