View Single Post
Non User

Garage
Ended up buying the dang tool, thankfully its only one stud, so cross your fingers that it goes well. BTW I'll be happy to rent the tool to any good soul out there.

So the original plan was to address a small exhaust leak that turned out to be a burnt up head to header gasket. The gasket burnt up because Ive recently developed an intake leak, or a faulty fuel pump when hot, causing the car to run lean (still need to figure out why). So when pulling the muffler, discovered that the sound deadening packing has been burnt up (see lean issue above). Pull and send for repack (thank you Brian!). So back to fueling. While checking fuses in front, noticed broken front strut brace bracket (off to welder - BTW, hats off as usual to the guys at Vision Motorsports, free weld, free advice, GREAT guys, had to drop off a couple of six-packs). Now need to get another alignment, grrr. But wait, I've got these cool bushings sitting there for the race car, they come from some place called elephant racing... Heh heh heh, they belong on the 930, I'll get another set for the 914 project later.

Phew, now I'm hesitant to pull the lower valve covers and cam chain covers for a new gasket to stop a couple of annoying leaks... I wanna drive my 930 to Monterey in Oct for RRIV!!!

This started as a 1 day at the shop quick fix promise to the wife that would cost a couple of hundred bucks. Now I'm approaching 1500 and that's not including the stolen polybronzes...

Good thing my wife is cool, sorry had to vent cause I know you guys understand...
'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'71 914 track car
Old 09-07-2011, 09:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)