Thread: Turbo "S"?
View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986 930 View Post
The paper work I have show that it is a Ruf Exhaust and Ruf metal fenders but I have no way of knowing if it is correct. I do not have engine shots....yet...but here is the interior:

The electrical mods that Ultra-Smith did are a nightmare to sort out. No wiring diagrams and it is just a mess.

My futur plans after I recover from this work, is to go with headers, new exhaust, a high flow turbo and bigger IC. The standard bolt on stuff. Maybe some day I will get the 5 speed, probably a short bell housing G50.
Thanks for posting pics.. and yes, I see a couple of the Autosmith touches w/ the gauge/clock mounted on the door panel, the colored matched center dash, and I believe a radar detector between the gauges? Can't tell from the angle.

I'm surprised to hear that their work was a mess.. maybe someone else has been in there? I say that because I've handled a couple of P-cars that had electronics done by Autosmith, and owned one myself that had some of their electronics added and all were very nicely done. I think they're still in business in NY, maybe they can help.

Regarding your exhaust, most Ruf turbo exhaust had an oval shape to them. If you look at the muffler while the engines out or its on the lift, you'll probably see where the right side outlet was welded on. From the pics it appears to be stock turbo outlets on both sides... the muffler has probably been modified internally.. this was a popular mod in the 80's. Also, if its a Ruf.. you'll find the name stamped on there somewhere.

No great loss not having the Ruf IC as there are more efficient units available. Hey, there's a Ruf 5 spd for sale here on Pelican

Have fun and enjoy it!
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 09-09-2011, 11:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)